Wednesday, November 23, 2005

shaking like a leaf

9:26am - As I write this, I am planning my news-breaking to the bosses. This is the day. I shouldn't put it off any longer. I was fixin to drop the bomb first thing...but now I'm super duper nervous. If this office wasn't so open, and deathly silent, this would be a lot easier. But now I have declared it. I must do it today. By the end of the day, I will be free and lighthearted with confirmation of the end. Stay tuned...

11:23 am - Still no news. Have nerves of war veteran. Spine of jellyfish.

12:18 pm - It is finished! I cornered them, got them to sit, and told them. It went fine. Short, sweet, to the point. They were nice about it, but didn't really say much. I can come back if I want to, but they can't guarantee my corner desk. They say that to everyone who leaves. They also pretended to be excited for me. I feel strange. Great, but bewildered. I'm leaving, and its final. The longer I sit and think about it though, the more I want to jump from desk to desk in manner of Liesel at the gazebo in the sound of music, singing of freedom and joy and tingling adventure returning to my veins. I had a similar feeling when I finished my first, painful year at design school and left the building for the summer. Except then, I actually did leap down the hall singing and broke through the doors with my hands raised in the air and clicked my heels as I jumped down sets of stairs to the street.

No comments: