"You must be pretty trusting in the economy to leave your job like that."
"Don't you feel scared? Everybody hates Americans."
"You'll be a target if you go anywhere muslim."
"Thats going to cost you a lot of money, isn't it?"
"I mean, I would never want to travel for 8 months in a row."
These are things people have been telling Melissa and I. I alternate between feeling like a lunatic, a freedom fighter, and an ignorant 20-something. It is impossible to tell if I should have fear beyond the general traveling pickpocket incidents. Maybe everyone does hate us and they'll steal our cameras and humiliate us in public.
Its not like I am going to wear a giant flag over hot shorts and high heels and wave a pistol, firing into the air. Most travelers I have met understand that Americans are not all like the President. I'm not going to Iraq or Iran. Most Muslim peeps probably do not hate Americans. I might even be able to improve our reputation by being a nice person on the road. I am not worried at all about finding work when I get back. Especially because valet parking sounds pretty good to me right now. I'll just have to wait and see how it is.
Speaking of other travelers I have met, independent travel is one of the best filters I know of. Whoever I meet at a small hostel on the beach south of Mumbai, is going to be pretty similar to myself. Enjoys adventure, doesn't mind a little discomfort and uncertainty, dislikes desk jobs and all-inclusive resorts. "Oh, you like to quit your job and go to beaches to surf too? Wow!" I already have lots of friends from traveling. Pen pals, people I am going to stay with, or Ethiopian guys that want to marry me. Its great! Then you get the name of a friend's friend that lives someplace and who you can stay with. It all depends on the filter. Removing untrustworthy, ungrateful and insensitive people on the travel trails worldwide!
No comments:
Post a Comment