Sunday, September 30, 2007

yuppie rail vs. monorail














I still love the monorail. I walk along 5th Ave as often as possible just to be near it and experience the thrilling whoosh as it glides overhead, free from traffic and stoplights, carrying joyful tourists singing in unison. Or at least taking photos and smiling because it's so fun to ride. It actually sells enough tickets to pay for itself, it's that cool.

The whole new, failed monorail situation a couple years ago really tarnished its fun-loving image. It is quieter than a bus, faster than light rail, and safer for all forms of transportation sharing the roadway. How many accidents will there be between Sound Transit's light rail and unsuspecting cyclists, drivers and pedestrians pushing strollers and leaning on walkers? I fear there may be many.

Outside my office on Westlake Ave, the workers have progressed to the final smoothing and cleaning of the new South Lake Union Trolley (S.L.U.T.). It's about to open! What a thrill. I know people will just line up to wait 15 minutes to take a trolley that goes 9 mph, stops at lights and will take them the distance of a 30 minute walk to really interesting places like the Fred Hutch cancer research center and Hooters.

I know what you are thinking. She is just bitter that the S.L.U.T. knocked her teeth out and really it's going to be a great thing for the city. It is true that I am bitter, but not that it's going to be a great thing. I predict that no one is going to ride it. And if they do, it will be with a transfer slip or bus pass that they already paid for. How will we ever make up the $51 million that it took to build it? Luckily we only had to pay for half of it as taxpayers. And at least it will be cute, which I believe is the real reason it was built in the first place. To dress up the neighborhood formerly known for its prostitution, light industry and free parking. At least from my future desk by the window at work, I will be able to see it slide by - just before it stops for the light at Denny Way - looking stylish as she goes!

No comments: