Wednesday, October 10, 2007

son, your ego's writing checks your body can't cash

Sometimes you don't even realize that you've lost that lovin feeling until it's brought back. This was my problem. Until last night. The Cinerama is playing some old movies in 70mm high resolution film for a limited time only. When I learned that Top Gun was going to be shown, I couldn't resist. I bought tickets in advance for my sister and I. It was all I ever hoped for. People cheered as soon as the theme song started and the afterburners started to glow.

We all laughed, cried and cheered together as 20-somethings united through a film masterpiece of the 80's. We all especially enjoyed the locker room towel scenes, of which there are more than enough. When Slider flexed his muscles
during the volleyball match, we loved it. When Iceman closes his bared teeth in an aggressive gesture towards Maverick, we all cracked up. The hair, the motorcycles, the sweat - incredible.

I haven't been as entertained in a long time. They don't make movies like they used to. So cheesy and dramatic, in all the right ways. Where actors have to be really good because their characters are ridiculous, but we must believe them enough to enjoy the story. I highly recommend viewing Top Gun on the big screen. Sadly for you, there are no more showings at the Cinerama, but perhaps you can catch it next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Top Gun five (5) times! I NEVER see a movie twice. I even saw it in Livingston MT. Yes, they had a movie theater there and a coupon in the daily paper. Part way thru I was trying to figure out what was wrong and aha! realized the sound was too quiet. Top Gun music should be LOUD. Up in the Danger Zone. Wish I'd been paying attention that it was at Cinerama. love you, Dede