Sunday, December 18, 2005

expecting not to expect for a while

Weekend: Score 9 of 10.
Friday: Couch+National Lampoons Christmas Vacation+Wine+Book

Saturday: Laundry+Lasagna+Friends over
Sunday: Lay on Futon with close friends in pajamas till noon+take a walk+go to Ashley's baby shower+Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Saturday night, I had a great evening with a herd of friends over from near and far to eat lasagna and play Settlers. We noisily argued over the game, laughed at each other's jokes, and drank wine. Very merry. I played as a team with Josh and we solidly moved up from a slow start to a definitive victory. Complete with interruption of the leader's longest road with a settlement! Note: If you are not playing this game, I highly recommend you start. Its been something of a sphere of influence on my whole social situation for the last year.

Ashley's baby shower was so great. Normally, I am not a huge lover of showers in general, but my wariness wore off quickly seeing lots of friends, sharing good food, and celebrating a new life. For the first time at a baby shower, I imagined myself in Ashley's situation, and didn't become nauseous. I think I even liked the idea of having some kids and thought, 'hey maybe in 5 years, that could be me and I'm okay with that.' I loved feeling her belly and thus communicating with a 3 lb unborn baby girl. And Ashley looked great. I'll admit, with some of the gifts, that I thought to myself that brightly colored, noisy things made of plastic and flame retardant cotton shall never enter my home or prime my children for the pump of kiddie commerce. Several of them though, were so precious and made me genuinely smile. My children will have to live their first years with a mix of used goodwill items, homemade clothing and interestingly shaped sticks and leaves to play with. Poor guys will be so nerdy but will hopefully appreciate nature, living sustainably, and having a good imagination, which is more important.

I also enjoyed the kitchen talks that occurred as dishes were washed and platters were snacked to completion. It's fun having married friends. The knowledge I have gained about things like birth control and cleaning supplies without having to go through the trials is invaluable. Women are so great. I think that we are a little bit more interesting than men (perhaps because of men). My girlfriends, especially, are such terrific people with character and spice to boot. Cheers to marriage and family!

No comments: