I loved it, somehow. I could identify with the character's life questions, rejection of the status quo and desire to move. The farther he got, the more I loved it. I mean, who rafts the Colorado river in an old plastic sea kayak? Intense. Real. Alive. Then he got farther and I wondered how much farther he would wander. How many more people will he leave behind? How long will he let his broken past force him into a compromised future? By the end, the tragedy was so crushing. To want to finally choose the right thing, but be too far gone into the wrong that you can't go back. There was no forgiveness. I was depressed for two days after seeing it.

I thought of my dreams of sailing away, surfing away, or whatever I have to do to avoid being a slave to the wage. What if after being away for a short or long time, I too might lose my connections with people and home and any chance of a normal life? What if my travel idol enchants me to the point where I choose to be the weird aunt and by the time I realize that having a house and family is actually a thing that people do not because it's normal, but because it's great, I have gone too far and can't go back? Could I sound like a person in my late 20's any more than I do right now?
Into the Wild has an amazing soundtrack. I recommend seeing the film with hesitation (even though I loved it), but recommend the soundtrack wholeheartedly.
4 comments:
Don't go away T. We like you too much!!
I am getting sensitive to the almost-negative connotation of your use of 'weird aunt.' Like it's a Bad Thing. I have always taken pride in my position as the 'weird aunt' and my feelings are almost hurt......
love, A. Dede
Dede
You're not the weird aunt that I have in mind. You're great. This lady wears mumus and burns incense and can't relate to anyone because she has been to too many weird places and hung out with too many weird sailors. She has no home and can't decide to do any one thing for any amount of time. She is bad. You are not!
Love T
Whew, I was getting real nervous there. Too many weird sailors, well, that'll do it! Too many weird places, I'm not so sure. Thanks for the reassurance and the plug. Love, NotsoweirdA. Dede
Post a Comment