Tuesday, February 19, 2008

blessed weekend

I thought that I had to fly to Mexico, Havana or Honduras to be warm and have a good time. Surprise, surprise! Turns out, all I had to do was roll down to Portland and visit my friends, the Gregorys. Well, to start I spent Saturday boating, which of course, you already know about. On Sunday Claire, Melissa and I got up early and hit the road with Judy the wagon (not before a cursory stop at Vivace for white velvets and scones). By the time we made it to Olympia we had sorted out our man problems, work issues and caught up on joking around. The drive was fun.






















We slipped into a glorious, free, parking spot and Whitney and Nathan came around the corner to greet us. They showed us their most amazing loft in the Pearl District of Portland. Tall ceilings, massive beams, a wrapping of windows, expansive floors and walkable to everything. The kitchen to the bathrooms reminded me of a hotel.

We walked down to a cafe for brunch and then wandered to Powells books and some shops. The trip then blends into an entirely pleasurable flow of eating, walking, looking, shopping and laying in the sun. There was so much laughter and relaxation. When we went to the park to lay in the sun, the smell of my blanket and the grass took me right to the most happy place, summer. I was warm and happy and could have been in Hawaii. Except for the down jacket. My freckles even began to come out after the hour in the sun.

I ended up dropping some coin on a new dress, coat and plenty of food and coffee. It's really a vacation if I am impulse buying! By the time we were returning home and stopped over in Tumwater, I was back to analyzing how many ounces of sour patch kids I would be getting relative to the price between brands at the gas station. You can only step outside of yourself for so long. It was a wonderful mini break and I was so happy to see my good friends.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sounds like a super-fun time!! I can't wait to see the coat too.