Saturday, February 09, 2008

caucus!

Today was the first time that I actually left my home for politics. Being an absentee voter since turning 18, voting has always been an unemotional and private process. Until today! I attended my precinct's caucus to mark my preferred candidate for the democratic party.

My sister and I arrived at the caucus to find crowds, throngs even! Old, young, poor, rich. Races and social groups, all represented. We found our proper place and wrote in our preferred candidate. Then it began. People, pouring their hearts out, expressing what was important to them, changing their minds, and changing them back. The pros and cons, the debates, the beliefs. The people were alive! Not lukewarm, but hot and cold, full of passion. Apathy seems to be the disease of our nation, people preferring to go shopping than do something helpful in the world. But no, not this year. The people are back and they care! I was almost moved to tears, seeing all those regular people moved to speak out proudly about what was important to them. Even these young, redneck guys were trying to make some kind of joke or point by wearing offensive sweatshirts claiming their allegiance to Obama with the phrase, 'Bros before Hoes'. I wanted to smack them, but at least they showed up. At least they had an opinion, even if it resembled that of a caveman.

My favorite mini speech was given by a woman who is a first generation immigrant from China, interested in "bringing the reputation of the U.S. back up where it belongs, where it was under Clinton. Back when the world liked America and America helped other countries." Vote democrat, she said!

Then she said, "Obama has poetry. Clinton has prose." She likes both of them, but Clinton will get the job done. "First, we need Clinton with Obama as a vice president. 8 years. Then, Obama for 8 more years. If Ronald Regan can begin a political movement, we can too, right now!" Bless her heart. If that isn't what it's all about, I don't know what is.

No comments: