Monday, February 19, 2007

presidents day = my day

The lure of a three day weekend and winter's first thaw took Judy and I away to Yakima for another really nice weekend visiting my friends Kristen and DJ. I greeted Flora and Clementine and admired the plans for spring's garden and home projects. We watched movies, played Settlers of Catan, swatted around at the tennis courts, ate yummy food and shopped for used furniture. I felt the usual pangs of marriage and house envy as a guest in their happy home.

We discussed the merits of lentils, which cilantro seeds are best and options for implementing Martha Stewart Living's latest crafty delight, ribbon embroidery. Being in their presence is so familiar and good. I wish that my best friends and I could all live on the same block someday.

Yakima was in its usual fine form. Cars on blocks and bingo halls packed on a Saturday night. What a strange town. Its location is great; close to wineries, mountains and orchards. The houses are cheap and the salaries decent. There are a few cute bakeries. Okay, one. It has all the makings of a great small town, but is a little off. The divide between the have and have-nots is very clear. It runs along an avenue, a language barrier and a race. That divide seems to sever any hope of character or common place. Yakima just can't rest. This is just speculation from a tourist. All I know for sure is that furniture is cheaper over there and I found myself a cute dresser.



1 comment:

Tyson & Jordana Hawkins said...

Why is it that all I want to do is all you guys ever do? I mean, I haven't been able to talk more than one person (Jordana was the lone taker, and she had no choice) into learning Settlers. You lucky ducks!

Can I live on that block too?