Wednesday, February 21, 2007

livin in the past

I sometimes like to play a little game with myself called, 'Where were you at this time last year?' For most people, my trip is now a thing of the past. It came and went and I am now a normal person again. It's over. Not for me though. I am still trying to figure out how to cope with it all. The trip has become the life event upon which my adult life now revolves around. For some it is marriage, buying the house, having the baby. For me, it is pre-trip and post-trip. I want to remain connected to it, but can't think about it too much for risk of getting depressed. A lot of my thoughts relate back to the places I visited and situations I found myself in, but I can't really just talk about that or bring it up. It's too weird. Even writing this blog feels a little pathetic.

The game though, which I sometimes play with Melissa, is a great way for me to continue loving my trip in a healthy way. I can reminisce, look at photos, remember the tastes and taxis, and not annoy anyone with, 'Back when I was in Cambodia...' stories.

Today, maybe you would like to play along with me from home. 23 Febrero 2006. I recently arrived in Buenos Aires from hiking in the Andes mountains. Walked home after a movie in the evening to see garbage and rats populating the streets. I saw colonial ceilings, balconies, and plazas in this European annex of a city. Mexican food for dinner and shopping down Florida Avenue. The joy of a metropolis! The subway! The boulevards! The food! The exploring! A rush of commerce and culture of which 80% was similar to my own. A nice 'upper' experience before all that was scary, chaotic and alive in Africa. What a great day that was. I love the trip.


Last Year's Blog with photos.

No comments: