Monday, October 02, 2006

top ten list

Here are my top ten most ridiculous trip photos. The world is a funny place and it's rarely captured on film. It's a lot funnier than these pictures, but this is the best I could do with my, now broken, digital point-and-shoot.













Hello Spain! The last time I wore white pumps was dressing up at my friend's house in her sister's homecoming gowns in 1992. And the last time I wore my hair feathered and permed was...well that never happened, thank the Lord.



















Anyone feeling threatened? Mess with Greece and find these fellas across the front lines. I'm not sure if the white cotton tights, the skirts, the red clogs or the long fringe tassel on the hat that is most remarkable. This changing of the guards is by far more interesting than that in London. And after these guys get into pl
ace, a helper soldier comes over and straightens their fringe!















The ugly truth about tourism. For everytime I patiently waited for people to exit my view finder frame, I should have taken a photo just like this. Angkor Wat was one of
the most difficult places to take photos as it is more overrun with plodding tourists than wild jungle vines.















Who says colonialism is dead? This is what happens when Western tourism brings it's own culture and customs and forces them on unsuspecting nations of squatters. I'd like to see some holes in the ground with instructional signs in Yellowstone. It only seems fair.




















Bling! I wonder if some of this flair can be ordered from Lowrider Magazine? Indian truck drivers seem to know a thing or two about customizing.




















I wasn't quite sure of the risk here. Either there was some general danger of cars platform diving or else some fan of Harold and Maude lived nearby this cliff in Ireland. Your guess is as good as mine.



















Gotta love the Italians! If they don't have it going on, who does? Freedom of expression takes on a whole new light.















Here's an Austrian guy about to ride an ostrich. Ha. Go easy on the tail feathers!




















The only thing better than a tricked out Indian semi truck is a masterfully airbrushed Bolivian bus. Melissa is waving from behind the blue guy's head, but you can't see her. I think the Greyhound could learn a bit about creative marketing from this outfit.


















Meditation and lasers, together at last. I think the Brahma Kumaris new age-cult, based in India, is really on to something special. Come to think, I'm not sure if the mega-churches in the Southern U.S. are that much different, actually.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey, what happened to the picture you took of the two Italians in white tights and pumps squatting in an Indian truck full of ostrich with the mermaid painted on the side driving over the cliff as they meditated to lasers and a hoard of tourists stood by taking pictures? That one was just as funny as these.

Anonymous said...

LOL. As long as we can see the absurdity of life, we can get thru anything. You have set the bar very high...
love, A. Dede