Monday, October 23, 2006

lactic acid trip


This past Sunday I went hiking with my friend Chris. We went up to Melakwa Lake, on the Denny Creek trail. I was pleasantly surprised with sunny blue skies and fall leaves not yet fallen. My legs are hurting quite badly now. It was steep and I could barely keep up with Chris. He reasoned it was his vegan diet that gave him massive energy and I claimed chocolate chip cookies for my wheezing. We made it up fast and enjoyed an icy cold lunch by the lake.

I was overjoyed to be back in the woods and didn't want to come back down. I kept stopping to admire the plants and make Chris look out at the fiery slopes and blue-green vistas. We enjoyed good conversation and expressed our sadness at my friend (Chris's girlfriend) Liz's recent move to NYC. Its been strange not having her around.

There has been a wee exodus of my friends from Seattle to New York
this year. I don't know what the deal is. I'm going to find out next week though. I will accompany my sister to the city while she runs the marathon and I give her a piggy-back afterwards to our hotel. I vowed not to get on an airplane again until at least summer, but this is an exciting exception. I haven't been there except for a crazed 6-hour layover run from New Jersey to Times Square. It'll be so cool to see my sister run, to lay my feet on Central Park soil and to see Liz.

No comments: