Saturday, October 07, 2006

rocky mountain arsenal

I am currently working on one of many side jobs that are keeping me afloat financially. This one is inputting addresses of military bases for a marketing list. It's super boring, just like it sounds.

I was looking at a place called the Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Colorado. This is the base history: "Land purchased for production of chemical weapons during WWII, site used for reconditioning and demilitarization of mustard shells. Korean War production of white phosphorous-filled munitions and incendiary cluster bombs. Production of GB nerve gas here. Disposal of chemical warfare material here. Current mission, contamination cleanup. FUTURE CLOSURE: will become National Wildlife Refuge upon completion of remediation."

Yikes! So are we talking around year 2700 when the land will be remediated enough for wildlife? Or maybe 3000?

I won't even list the current visitor attractions. Note to self and others: stay away from Commerce City, Colorado, 10 miles NE of downtown Denver.

No comments: