Sunday, September 18, 2005

eins, zwei g'soffa!

Crazy party weekend. Loads of fun. Not sure how working will fit back into this flowing stream of entertainment.

I took Friday off, bursting with excitement to head out to the ocean and try out my new surfboard. It was the reason that last week worked at all for me. I even finally bought a hood for my wetsuit, so I wouldn't be too cold. I found a buddy (as all responsible surfers do) to go with me and we were all set up to go out. Then in the morning, it was raining. I didn't care, I'd be all wet anyway... But homeboy had different opinions about such weather. We ended up hanging out, in Seattle, for a few hours then I went home and moped about not being in the ocean, and how the weather was clearing up nicely. I downloaded music and packed up some boxes, and waited for my precious vacation day to be over. Boooo.

I decided to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR ONCE in the evening. My girl Whitney called me up and said that she was going to hear Jumbalaya, my fav live hiphop/soul group in Queen Anne. The troops rallied and a bunch of us ended up digging on the jams till near closing time. It was really great music, and a nice chilled-out crowd. I felt somewhat vindicated in the loss of my idealized surfing vacation day.

Saturday, it was off to Odessa, for the annual Deutchesfest german festival. I ate sausage, served up streudel, and put back a few cold ones in Melissa's hometown. Kristen and DJ met us there, along with Melissa's family. We enjoyed the small town festivus, counted and made fun of dream catchers and gawked at white trash t-shirts with foul themes (not to mention some of the characters wearing such shirts). It has got to be the best people watching event within a 250 mile radius of Seattle. We danced to the classic rock cover bands, the traditional chicken dance, and the occasional country ballad.

I had lots of man drama. Probably more than I have had in the last 5 years, put together. If it wasn't the standard heavy-set, mullet-wearing creeps on the dance floor, it was the cute bongo drummer that I made a very unsuccessful pass at, the weird, striped-shirt, young guy that I couldn't shake, or the two brothers from Seattle that I actually had a nice conversation with about traveling to Chile. It was all very silly. I only had one fruitful experience with Norm. A very cute, tall, lovely guy that asked me to dance and actually knew some swing moves. They floated in and out of our table section and dance circle all evening, providing plenty of laughter and conversation for all. I love The 'Fest. Its such a riot. I mean, when is the last time you saw a 68 year old woman wearing a hooters tank top flirting with all the old men?

No comments: