Friday, May 30, 2008

anniversaries

Yesterday was the 55th anniversary of the first ascent of Mt. Everest. It was also the 1st anniversary of my descent, face first, into the street and the last time I rode my bike. I can't even believe how annoying that little accident ended up being. My whole perspective on safe has changed and I can't seem to let the whole thing go. I usually imagine some vivid version of my own tragic death everyday. It's like TV that turns itself on in my head, but only lasts a few seconds. Cranes fall on me, trucks tip over as they take corners or I get caught in the middle of a gunfight in my neighborhood. Hopefully, with my heightened sense of danger, my reflexes and observatory powers will actually keep me from getting hurt the next time? At least on the slightly positive side, I do have some replacement teeth (even if I also envision those falling out of my mouth regularly), my jaw is hurting while I eat a little less each month that goes by and no one seems to notice my perpetually fat, scarred lip.

Luckily, there are so many good things keeping me busy lately, I don't have time to dwell on the danger and aftermath. Long weekends, long drives, handsome men, a freshly arranged patio, hundreds of seeds sprouting in my garden, soccer matches, visiting family, my dad's retirement, baby showers, BBQs, catamaran lessons, new recipes and old friends. Then there were the three days I was sick this week and couldn't eat, but that's just a blip. The season is in full swing and I love it.

2 comments:

Mark and Sarah said...

We've missed your blogging the last couple weeks. Glad you're back! Your garden/patio look fantastic! Glad that a year has passed since the accident...and you're almost all better.

Anonymous said...

You haven't been back on my bike???? Get on the bike. You know what they say about getting back on the horse when you're thrown. So do it. Start with going down the street in front of your house. If it's level...then add from there. love you, Dede