"And this here...this is a reef knot. It's used for tying two pieces of line together. It is very strong as you can see...but then comes easily untied," I said while grinning to my captive audience on the back of our friend's yacht while cruising Lake Union. I'm pretty sure that will be the last time anyone asks me to tie some knots for them.
I moved to my big finale. The bowline knot. My most complicated and impressive knot. "You see, just go around like this and back down, and there you have it, a perfect fixed loop, useful for attaching the head of the sail to the halyard, tying climbers to ropes or tying anything down, really." Just before I was about to take a bow and collect my praises, Blake comes out of the cabin, grabs my line and says, "This is a bowline? It's not a bowline."
"What?", I replied sharply, glancing quickly at the audience to gauge their reaction. "What do you know about it?"
"Yeah, that's not a bowline. I was an eagle scout (possibly not true). Here, let me show you." Blake proceeded to tie a perfect bowline, the very first time with twice my speed and flare. I ignored the snickering from the audience as I forced Blake to watch me re-tie the knot 4 times before I got it right. Around the other tree, the other way before coming back through the loop. Dang it!
I broke a key rule. Don't Get Cocky. I always say that. Well, not as much as I say 'Safety First', but probably second to that. I get out in the sailboats a few times, and suddenly I think I'm Popeye the sailor man. I have a lot to learn. Fortunately, I am sailing both days this weekend so I'll have plenty of opportunity to practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment