Wednesday, April 30, 2008

sailing with the kids

"I'm sailing! I'm sailing. Everybody, We're going sailing! Down by the WAC up to the point. Sailing!" This should be said the way Will Ferrell says it in the movie Old School when his character Frank is yelling about streaking. I was yelling this as I pulled farther away from the dock, skippering my own Laser. I couldn't believe that the thing actually worked! I mean, the wind was pushing me and I was steering and sailing!

This phenomenal experience was made possible by the Washington Yacht Club. I joined the club, signed up for a lesson, and in two full days at the club last weekend, I am rated on two different boats to sail whenever I want to!

Learning was great. I ate it up. Practiced tying knots Saturday night to pass my tests Sunday. I sailed with a group of college kids, all trying out their own hands on deck (sidenote, I am so glad to be a little older with a little life experience and a lot more confidence than my former co-ed self! Those kids had nothing on an old lady like me). We all learned and had a great time doing it.


It's an entirely different experience holding the tiller in your own hands. Sailing on someone else's big boat is great, but there is nothing like being in charge to really figure out what's going on. I know how to rig and sail a one-person Laser and a two-person Flying Junior, seen in these photos. I intend to get down there on Friday after work to keep it all fresh in my mind. Having the boats is like having a yard full of new toys. I can go down whenever I want to and play. The best thing about this whole deal is that I feel good about going out, trying something new, meeting new people and having fun - all by myself. Maybe I'll be a real adult someday after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe you can take me out anyway!

Anonymous said...

Oops, that above comment was from me! I would like to go out, as long as a novice like myself won't toss us out!

H

Anonymous said...

You can't escape that 'from the wharf' bit in your blood, I think. Sailing is magical, so quiet yet you're moving. Amazing. love you, Dede

Anonymous said...

Sailing is such an amazing sport. Magical is an understatement. I found an incredible book,Chasing Sunsets, about a family that went on a sailing adventure..... you won't be able to put this one down. If sailing is in your blood.... you won't want to miss this one! Check it out. :-)