Monday, March 10, 2008

fighting with the man

This afternoon I went to battle with my insurance company. After my letter writing, endless phone calls and processing through the levels of the appeal process, Regence offered me the opportunity to come in and state my case in front of the member appeals panel in order to receive better coverage for the oral surgeon's portion of my bicycle accident. I wanted to go in swinging. Teeth bared, fists up, kicking and screaming.

Instead I felt like I was going to throw up. The first part of this week is perhaps the most demanding few days I have come across in my job. I have another section of my licensing exam on Wednesday, which I have been studying for for 2 months, and a busy weekend on the way with a friend's wedding and people staying over. Too much. I had prepared a speech involving my injury time line, coverage received (so far $330 of $8,000) and the portion of my policy that indicates they could cover my non-preferred doctor as preferred in the event there is not reasonable time to come under the care of a preferred provider. That would get me about $1,500.

I wasn't sure whether well-spoken Patricia was going to show up or if angry-injured-passionate-stubborn-easily-worked-up Patricia (whom you are probably better acquainted with) would be there instead. My stomach hurt and my heart was pounding as I waiting in the Regence lobby. I was comforted by a lovely framed poster which said, "Quality only happens when you care enough to do your best." A young girl came down and escorted me upstairs where a conference room, doctor, two nurses and two Regence people waited. They tried to be chummy with me, but there was no departure from my stone cold expression. My fear and nerves turned to a slow burn as soon as they asked me to present my case. All my anger at these %*@#ers came out in a clear, concise, well introduced and well summarized 5 minute speech about my plan, the situation and how I hoped my coverage could be changed. Thank God. I didn't cry, yell or shoot.

Now I wait for 5 to 10 business days for their decision. After than, who knows. I am guessing that they won't change their minds. There is no consequence if they don't. Maybe the next level is court and lawyers and all that. I'll have to wait and see. If there is anything else that I can do, I will.
Angry-injured-passionate-stubborn-easily-worked-up Patricia will.

3 comments:

Mark and Sarah said...

Oh T, hang in there girl. I am hoping and praying for a better week than you expect and for mercy on the part of the Regence panel. Here's to hoping...

Heidi said...

Good job T! I'm really proud of you! You did the best you could, and hopefully they will follow through- what's a few thousand dollars to a gigante like them anyway??? Good for you anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have one big success under your belt. Now you'll (a-i-p-s-e-w-u Patricia) go kick a** on the test tomorrow. love, Dede