Friday, November 30, 2007

prix fixe

I skipped breakfast this morning, by choice, for the first time. I was still full from the night before. Still full of the best food I have ever eaten and the fanciest wine to go with it. My head ached slightly and I had stayed up too late. These are the symptoms of overindulgence, wavering on gluttony. I’ll be the first to say that overdoing it a little once and a while is a wonderful thing. It’s how you know you are really living.

My roommates Claire and Melissa and I had a reservation at Canlis at 8pm last night. Claire works there Saturday nights and was generous enough to invite us to share in her annual gift certificate and discounts for a sumptuous night out. Starting at 6, I put on my borrowed dress, dusted off my high heels (I don’t mean this figuratively. They really were dusty. No wonder I don’t have a boyfriend), searched out my bobby pins, and laid all my makeup out on the top of the dresser. We turned the music up and buzzed up and down the stairs looking for earrings, bronzer and just the right shoes.

We set out and arrived at the valet parking where Melissa’s 10 year old, red Pontiac was whisked away. We went in and assembled first in the lounge with a cocktail, then at our table, one of the best in the restaurant. The first course of the chef’s tasting menu was on its way, edamame, avocado and tiger prawns with white miso vinaigrette, accompanied by chilled sake. I was sopping up all of the sauce with an amazingly fluffy and flavorful dinner roll when Mr. Canlis Sr. came up and greeted us, teasing me about cleaning my plate off a little better.

Course two followed shortly after consisting of lobster tail paired with a chardonnay. I took my first taste of lobster, garnished with caviar and asked Claire how I was supposed to ever go back to regular food again. I thought crab was my favorite food, but this was even better. I gasped and sighed with every bite and just kept grinning. The lime and cranberry sorbet got my pallet ready for the next.

After the lobster followed the main course; exceptionally creamy polenta with pretty red and purple vegetable curls on top, king crab on a bed of king oyster mushrooms, and the BEST steak I have ever eaten in my life. I just leaned into my knife and it sailed through all of the tender goodness. This was sampled with a Walla Walla syrah and a Napa cabernet. We had a side of truffle fries to top it off.

By then, I was giggling with delight at the wonderful things that I put into my mouth. The staff, with their crisp cuffs and pressed kimonos were beyond attentive and absolutely wonderful to us. One second you put down your glass and the next it is whisked away and replaced, undetected. I was in disbelief at how much I was enjoying myself in this fancy yet unpretentious place. Dessert was over the top as we shared the creamiest crème brulee, the fluffiest grand marnier soufflé, melty chocolate lava cake and a complimentary bonus ginger pomegranate cheesecake. Oh yeah, and a little Muscat to sip while we rotated plates.

We had a tour of the entire restaurant, took our pictures by the fireplace and were helped into our coats, a luxurious three hours after we had arrived. The car was waiting with the heat on. Never before had I enjoyed such fine dining. Everyone should get to have such an experience at the least, once. And I stress, at the least.

No comments: