Monday, July 23, 2007

i miss those light tan colored m&ms...

Saturday was an incredible day, much anticipated over the course of the Face Smashing Experience. I finally went **SURFING** again! Just me, my own board, my own wetsuit and my own home waves. And my new surfing partner Mark (who happens to be quite charming and catches the same size waves as me). We were lucky with a nice cloud layer, no wind, and a nice 5 foot swell. Oh the joy of the salty spray and burning, jello-like paddling arms! And I didn't even re-break my jaw.

Here's a photo from my best high school friend, Sarah's wedding BBQ, Sunday. Our friend Hilary was there, who I haven't seen for 8 years. It was surprisingly easy to pick up with her, even though we are different people in different places. Sarah is married now to her high school beau. Hilary has a condo with her boyfriend and Jessica there has a townhouse in Greenwood. I have...two halves of my front teeth, a $475 car and a lot of good stories? At least my stories don't need a new roof.

Speaking of halves of teeth, I have an appointment with my dentist to get some new ones Sept 19th. That's quite a long time from now, but I don't even care. Every time I eat I savor the goodness and remember the pain as I sat with friends and drank soup while they enjoyed all that is lovely to put into one's mouth. I may look kinda funny and feel a little self-conscious, but at least I can breathe. Two months can't be that long.

A note on weight loss: I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of ten pounds. I think I weigh the same as I did in high school, but without all the muscle. The day I fell, the dental assistant told me as I walked out the door to go to the surgeon's office, "Honey, having your jaw wired shut is a great way to lose some weight.' Most people ask me right away if I lost weight. It's almost more interesting to them than the rest of the story (with the exception of the tooth half stuck in my lip, which gets them every time). I am a little disturbed by the consensus that my silver lining is losing some weight. SO NOT WORTH IT. Not even close. Not even in the ballpark. I would have gained 10 pounds to have avoided all this. My friend Liz appropriately responded when I told her what people were saying by remarking, "That just shows you how eph-ed up our society is that people even think about that when you have a broken jaw and tons of medical bills. That's messed up." Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Favourite colour is light tan!