Monday, May 28, 2007

vocational options and opportunities

Today I was playing my game "Where were you at this time last year?", a game I started playing a while ago to ease the weirdness of being back and disconnected from my dream trip. I have to look in my second trip journal for the second half of the trip to find May 28. What I found was some quality introspection that I remember writing on the train on the way from Grenoble, France to Barcelona, Spain. I must have been facing the reality that the endless trip was actually starting to wane. Within a drivel of personal reflection, I made a list called 'Every job I have EVER considered.' I included everything I have seriously considered from the time I realized that people have to be something when they grow up. Here's the list:

archaeologist (first occupation I was interested in due to King Tut flip book found in school library)
greenhouse owner
judge
forest ranger
surgeon
historian
train engineer (still a top choice in my eyes)
civil engineer
cafe owner
farmer
landscape architect
grocery store owner
soil scientist
hydrologist
surf instructor
hiking guide/hiking hostel (yes, I think this would really work out well)
coffee shop owner
writer (all you have to do to be a writer is write...)
illustrator
life coach/organizer
wedding coordinator
caterer
children's nature guide
professor
garden writer
car restorer
REI backpack sales
travel writer
adventure resort owner
surf shop
baker
graphic designer
industrial designer
florist
pizza shop/pub
juice hut
non-profit urban designer
accountant
track coach
CAD teacher for high school (in my future, seriously. imagine the summer vacations)
architect
recycling program director
compost advocate (must create this job first)
arborist
gardening teacher

That pretty much covers it. I am still interested in most of these things with the exception of wedding coordinator and car restorer. I hope I can fit at least a few of these into this lifetime. There are just too many good things a person can spend their time doing. Note the small number of office jobs... I think I missed something back in high school career counseling when they told me I should work outside.

Here's a dreamy photo from a hike I took this long weekend.

No comments: