Friday, December 22, 2006

this is the end, my only friend, the end

They tell you not to take your first job offer, but I have done it anyway for the second time. I am no longer a free-flying, dreaming, blissful, drifter on funemployment. Well, not after the 26th of January anyway. I am the newest support staff member of Hough Beck and Baird. I negotiated, deliberated and ended up not being able to think of a reason not to take this offer. HBB is a 10 person firm doing a big variety of public and commercial work. I think it will be a good place. I think I will be busy, valued and learn a lot.

I had a difficult time picking up that phone and making the acceptance call. Commitment is more difficult the less you already have of it. It came down to me remembering something my brother said about marriage. That you could go on asking 'what if', forever. At some point you just make a decision to love a person, and do it. I wonder about those other firms. If their offers in January would have been better. No matter now, I am moving forward with the best I have. I have made a decision to be at HBB and will be there. At least for a few years. This is less serious than marriage. Thankfully.














Things will never be as easy as they were, right then, in Vietnam.

No comments: