Thursday, September 21, 2006

urban family

This week I am staying with my friends Kristen and DJ at their home in Yakima. Even though this house is new to me and this city is not the atmosphere that I am used to, it feels like home. The last two and a half years of my life included these people, and some other dear souls. The last eight years I have spent with my girlfriends through rentals and university degrees. They were my community. We did everything together, as good friends do. How nice to be back together, even if only for a short time.

What is going on in Yakima, you ask? Well, DJ is restoring the countryside to its God-given levels of biological diversity and Kristen is making the local babies healthier. Besides that, there is wine, fruit, blue skies and long views. The people watching isn't too bad either. The other night Melissa and I drove by a house down the street, in town, where a high school boy was standing on the porch waving a rifle around with his little brother toddling about. It's always an adventure here. My big city eyes can feast on cross-cultural experience as rich as any place in rural Africa. Well, as different at least.

I have the rest of today to eat ripe pears and get to know their two chickens. I wish I could stay longer, but I have business to attend to back home. I'm sure I'll be back though before this glorious phase of unemployment ends.

No comments: