Monday, May 30, 2005

oh, theres that muscle I forgot about

Bump, bump, bump.....Thump! Uggh. Ow. Was that sound my head butting against that rock 1 inch from my face? Ah nuts. Ow. How did a graceful flying leap from one river rock to another turn into me laying face down on the creek bank after hurtling forwards and slowing my head butt with a push-up, factored by a 40 lb pack? I don't know. Can I get up? I'm not sure. My shoulder hurts. If I do get up, how many miles back to the car?

A fine finish to an otherwise pleasant and pain free, 2 night backpacking trip. Lakes, polar swims, hot chocolate, stars and sleeping bags. And the vine maples. Incredible. I trekked with Tyson, Chris and Tatum. Good people. I love the forest. Its where I feel free and happy and close to God. And there's something neat about not having to talk about work or television or feeling like you should go out and do something. You just survive and entertain yourself by filtering water and talking about big ideas. No small talk allowed in the forest. And then a near-death experience makes it all the more poignant.

No comments: