Thursday, October 22, 2015

country solitude

I live a pretty solitary life these days. My office is in the country, I bring my lunch, and often I am alone all day. This is fine, mostly. I get a lot of work done when there is no one to talk to. These were my only coworkers on Tuesday.


















Mike is at the library or football practice, so I don't see him at home much either. I have taken to talking a lot to Tulip, who now comes to work with me. We spend most of every day together, so you can imagine how we are quite close friends. I used to just speak to her like an animal, but lately it's been more like Tom Hanks talking to the volleyball in Castaway. I tell her about what's on my mind, not just what's related to her situation.






















She seems mostly amenable to this, and she is an awfully good listener. She is by my side, literally, as much as she is allowed to be. Before bed, when all the tasks are done and I am sitting and reading or on the computer, she is laying next to me. While, I sleep, she is almost directly under my head, in her spot under the bed. I never thought my main companion would be a soft, fuzzy, dog, but here we are. She and my lunch date, the cows across the street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big hug. Aunt Dede