Wednesday, January 14, 2015

pinitentiary

I don't pin. Pinterest, is what I mean. I don't do it. I think I knew right away, that it would not lead to anything good, for me. I have been a subscriber to many a home magazine - Dwell, Sunset, Organic Style. I am a design professional, for crying out loud. I have a little folder of clippings showing ideas for things, should I ever find myself in need of ideas for home-centric projects. I suppose that's a lot like pinning, but then again, it is nothing like it. There is no pressure with a folder of clippings. I feel tremendous pressure when the things you love pile up on top of you via your digital memory.

I've seen Pinterest accounts, and I realize that there are other functions for it now; recipes, workout ideas, art, movies, diets... But the gist of the site is still to pin all kinds of ideas for things you want to add to your life. The more DIY you can incorporate, the better. The more, the better. More. Better. More style, more modern. More. Is it ever enough?

To round up all this beauty and hold tightly onto it, seems not to be in the spirit of beauty at all. The temporal nature of life is something I believe we need to invite into all parts of our lives in order to be happy. The buddhists have a tradition of creating a sand mandala - a representation of the whole universe on the floor in colored sand. It is intricate, beautiful, takes a million hours, and probably is very uncomfortable to make. Upon completion, they pray over it, and sweep it away it to remind themselves of the impermanence of life. Super cool and crazy. You should look up a photo of it, and pin it on your pinterest so you don't forget.

I live in a wonderful house built in 1973, which has never been updated. There are some groovy light fixtures, some swingin' wallpaper, and psychedelic counter tops. And I love all of it! Things generally function and they function well. It's my dream home because of the light and space. I really don't want to do anything to it, except for when stuff breaks or falls apart or is wasting energy. Many people that visit see how 'old' things are and start looking around and say, "It's great, but what are your plans for the place?"

My plans are to dance a little in the kitchen, to feed my friends and family, to clean up my dog's fur so she can drop some more. To play board games and mix cocktails. To read books and watch movies. To play with kids, and swim in the paddling pool. My plans are not to waste materials that are not at the end of their lifespan. My plans are not to go into debt to express myself via 'updating' things. My plans are not to strive to be more uniquely typical. My plans are not to build a perfect prison around myself, with all the pressure that goes along with keeping it up. For me, happiness does not come from a building, or a kitchen, or a bathroom counter. Although it may come from a hot tub, so I'm going to think up some cool ways to set one up for when I can find a cheap one on craigslist.

No comments: