I survived. So did my sister. And I think my Aunt and Uncle survived too. I went to my doctor to make sure my lungs were not infected and filling slowly with fluid, because they felt like maybe they were. When I got to the counter, the person there first asked me if I had any of the symptoms that were printed on a paper taped to the counter. I looked down and said, "Why yes, I have those last three symptoms right now and I had all the rest this last week." He looked up, alarmed, stepped back, and presented me with a mask. "Would you like to wear this mask?" I said sure and he instructed me how to sufficiently mold it to my face.
As I turned around to face the waiting room, I thought perhaps I had been suddenly horribly disfigured, like the Joker. Everyone was looking straight at me, all at once with concerned looks. Everyone was equally spread around the room, so I just had to pick a halfway seat and sit down in between a couple people. They didn't get up, but I could tell they wanted to. Luckily, I hadn't sat down for more than 20 seconds before they called me back (seemingly to get me out of the room ASAP). A nurse with a mask on took my vitals. Then my doctor came in wearing a mask, eye shield and gloves. She listened to my lungs in about 37 places and then sent me on my way, telling me my lungs sounded good for now and as long as I keep getting better, not to worry. She said it sounded like I had had the Swine Flu and that it may be two more weeks before I stop feeling tired and coughing. I'm still waiting for the two weeks to be up.
I walked out still wearing my mask. Without thinking, I jumped into the first elevator going down with all the other people getting on. When they turned around and saw me in my mask, they couldn't have been any closer to the walls, especially the pregnant woman. She had one foot ready to climb onto the hand railing to get farther away in case I coughed. I stood in the middle, staring at my feet, wishing I'd taken my raspy lungs on the stairs. I removed my mask as soon as I got to the front door, knowing that I wasn't contagious anyway and watching people stare and run away from you isn't as fun as it sounds.
2 comments:
I love your perspective on life. I can see the pregnant woman on the rail....
I'm also delighted to hear that you didn't have pneumonia or pleurisy or such like.
love you,
Dede
I wanted to use it to make people step off! Be nice or I'll breathe on you! ; )
(Not very nice!)
-H
Post a Comment