Sunday, January 04, 2009

same same

I was just taking a trip down memory lane, reading back on the blog. I read about the last few months of 2006 after I had returned from my big trip around the world. I was pleased to realize that I am generally the same person that I was then. My situation is different and I am a little more bogged down in life, but I sound like the same person. A few weeks ago, I was browsing through old journals from long ago and had a similar realization. I'd like to think that I can call that integrity? Or something close to it, at least.

I found a new years entry from 2005 that sounded exactly like something I would have written this year. Here it is, unabridged, for your entertainment:
A new year! 2 goals: 1. Kissing 2. Jesus. Same goals as last year. And the year before. I just read some of my old journals from years past. It's a wonderful life! I have great friends, great experiences under my belt and the knowledge that God is good.

The 20's are a strange time in life., I think. Some people (myself included) have dumb jobs, want to find a spouse and wish they were traveling someplace. My journals are all the same. Me, being generally glad to be alive, loving friends, being obsessed with boys and wanting to travel. Wanting to go out and try something new. See what I like. Ever since my mom first dropped me off at 5019 for my first night, I cried, listening to the Dixie Chicks, then talked with my new roommates as it dawned on me that the possibilities are endless and that my life is a gift to be lived and shared.

So here I am. A few years older. A few more stamps in my passport and many more boys added to the list of crushes that, thankfully, didn't go anywhere. And I'm the same. It's funny how things go.
There you have it. I would have never guessed that I would begin 2009 feeling the same way. It was this day, two years ago, that I left to begin the best year of my life. I was on the plane to Bolivia at this hour. What will this year hold? Hopefully Kissing and Jesus, apparently.





No comments: