Sunday, November 02, 2008

special project 4: cocky young guy

I received an email message from a guy whose profile I had never seen. He said I looked cute, interesting and fun, etc. He also asked if I thought that our age difference was a big deal. He is 23. I am 28.

I had just returned home from a painfully awkward date with another guy, a real no hitter. It is always a bit of a blow, each time you prepare for, plan, and begin a blindish date to then have it slump before you in a slow, 1.5-hour death. You have high hopes and then you have to put them away until you go through the song and dance with the next man and walk into another new restaurant for another shot.

I should have gone right to bed instead of checking my email, but of course I checked it, and there it was. Wait, was he implying that I was too old or that he was too young? If I am too old then why send me an email message in the first place? And 28 isn't old either, BTW. What kind of dude is this and who let him out of the dorms after curfew?

I sent him
back a message that said,
"Well it really depends on whether you are an exceptional 23 year old or not. I would say if you think that a 5 year age difference is a problem, then it probably will be. I understand though. I didn't know my ass from my elbow until I was at least 25, so it's probably the same for you."
Harsh, I know. I had electronic courage and a bad attitude. He was a sitting duck. He replied the next day,
"Didn't know your ass from your elbow? I could tell the two apart when I was two maybe sooner then that.

No I asked the question because I don't want to waste your time. Not many people are going to be that strait with you. If you are all geared up and ready to get married then I am not the right person. When I find the right person I will be ready to get married, but I'm not rushing into anything.If you are young at heart and ready for some fun then it doesn't matter your age. If you are tired from work old in the mind then 5 years can be decades.

So I get the age difference doesn't matter to you as for the rest I don't have to list off my accomplishments because I've done more in 23 years then most accomplish in a life time. So the real question is can you tell the difference between the radius and the Ulna?"
Wow. He's already done more than most do in their entire lifetime? Hmmm. Sounds like an egotistical orthopedic surgeon in the making. I spared everyone the sarcasm and didn't write him back. Or maybe I didn't write him back since I was feeling tired from work and old in the mind? There's no way for an old lady like me to know. Can someone get my cane for me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, you are an absolute treasure! The guy that gets to spend his life with you has a real treat in store. And this process of finding him is a real pain in the ass. I can't wait to read more stories. They make me laugh and cry. At the same time. They also take me back down memory lane, wincing as I go. Ack. Arghhh. Oooh, I remember him....what a twit. Love you and hang in there! Dede

Anonymous said...

I like that he had a sassy response, but I didn't like his response! Don't reply and give yourself 1.5 hours to go for a walk, have some good coffee and read a book, play with your nephews, go for a short hike!

-H