Tuesday, September 02, 2008

reunion report

First, I want to admit that my cool confidence as my high school reunion approached gave way the night before the event. I panicked, forgetting why I wanted to go in the first place and fearing being put back in a place that I didn't love being. This, and the fact that also that evening I noticed a crack across one of my front tooth crowns, caused me to sleep very little and toss and turn very much.

The crown, the dentist said, was cracked and may fall apart anytime. My lack of sleep over that matter was somewhat warranted. The stress over the reunion was fortunately not necessary. I arrived alone, wearing my one and only dress, and walked through the doors of the Redmond Marriott with no idea what may be waiting there for me. Right away, I saw a girl who I used to hang out with now and then, I felt 100% curious about what she had been doing and how she was doing. I really was excited to catch up with her. Then I saw another person who I was excited to catch up with. So I talked to them. Then another. Then another. I ran out of time to talk to people. Everyone was so much nicer and cooler than they were in high school. No one was really trying to impress. I met some people that I never knew in the first place. I talked for a long time with another guy who I lost touch with after junior high. Amazing!

My old best friend from elementary school is working on her fourth child. About a half of the people are married. A few spent time in prison. One went to Iraq. One still lives with his parents. Some are doctors. Some are business people. Some live a few miles from our school. One lives in Beijing.

I realize now that reunions are hardly life changing. Being there is extremely surreal and never got to be less weird. Just seeing all those faces through very different eyes had to be strange for everyone. I knew I would drive back home to my regular life and probably not be in better or worse touch with anyone. I have this strange feeling of happiness about it though. I just feel better knowing that people are making it and finding themselves and doing well. And it was fun. And everyone liked my dress, because it was a little different than all the low cut black ones. Maybe they liked me too, since I'm a little different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boo hiss on the cracked crown. It isn't that old. Does your dentist warrant his work? Seems like you shouldn't have to pay full price for a do-over.
Good on ya for the reunion gig. Different is good. I like different. But you know that. love you, Dede