Wednesday, August 20, 2008

class of '98

My 10 year high school reunion is this Friday. I haven't bought a new dress. I didn't go on a diet. I didn't schedule a facial. I did get a haircut last week, but that was just a coincidence. In preparation, I met up with a few friends two weeks ago for drinks and to discuss the event. One friend I hadn't seen for 10 years. It was good though. Just like old times.

This is what could be strange though. Will the entire reunion be just like old times? Will I appear as I was, a shy, self-conscious, wish-I-was-someone-else person? Or will I come across as I am now, full of joy, peace and a solid sense of self? What happened to everyone else? Will the popular still be trying to be popular? Will the quiet be loud? Will the athletes have turned soft and ordinary? Will the people who seemed to have good souls, but that I was too shy to become friends with, still have good souls and want to be friends with me now? What have people been doing with their 20's?

The suspense is terrible. I feel 90% curious, 5% excited and 5% nervous. That's pretty good. I'm going to look through my yearbook this week. I hope that people are wearing name tags. Every time high school comes up, I never have any idea who people are talking about. The least I could do, is remember the name of someone I knew for 12 years...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooo.... how'd it go????

-H

Anonymous said...

My thought exactly: how'd it go??? Please don't keep us in suspenders. Dede