The other day I was walking from the bus stop to my house as usual and spoke with my neighbor Bobby, as usual. He sits on the wall along the corner with a bunch of other guys, passing time when the weather is good. I normally try to ignore the other guys since the things they say to me are just dramatic, but Bobby and I are buddies.
He asks me, 'Did you work hard today or hardly work?' That day, I answered that I had worked really hard and felt exhausted. He said, 'Oh well, you got to get home to your man. He should be filling the bath for you, bringin' the flowers and lightin' the candles.' I thought quickly about this scenario and it sounded pretty good to me. I laughed and asked Bobby, 'That sounds good. Well then, where is he?' Bobby replied, 'I don't know, girl, that's up to you!" and laughed heartily at me.
He's probably right. I've been so picky. I get along with almost everyone. I can learn something from anyone. Though the number of people, men especially, who actually interest me to the point that I might want to see a lot more of them, is slim. I'm looking for such an incredible person, who I feel like I am getting the good end of the deal with. The humor, the kindness, the zest for life... These things are rare. There are so many interesting things to do with one's life though, I hardly feel tempted to settle at this point. Until I find someone who thrills me, I will always have Bobby and the rest of his street-corner-lingering squad to boost my self confidence. At least until the weather turns and they go back inside for the winter. Then, it's up to me.
1 comment:
Don't settle! Never. Think about the ho-hum relationships you've been in and then think about coming home to that for sixty years. Meh. I was on my own for ten years and didn't date for three of them. As a guy once said, 'If you're not enchanted, why bother?' thus sealing his own fate, ironically. love you bunches, Dede
Post a Comment