Thursday, March 22, 2007

proverbs

If a girl falls on her face in the park and no one is there to see it, is it still funny?

Yes. It is very funny and she laughs for the next half hour. My ankle is twisted, my shoulder sore and my work pants have a grass stain on the knee. This was no ordinary fall though. I was wandering in the rain during lunch in the South Lake Union Park. I missed the edge of the path and after the ankle rolled the rest of me went with it. Flat to the ground, my face inches from the grass. The reason I missed the path was that I was looking out towards the water at the Center for Wooden Boats, it's docks, and all the cute skiffs a girl could want.

I had heard about this fine place, but just now realized where and what it really was. I have a love for small wooden boats, discovered over summer trips to Orcas Island and the rowboats that we played in all the years of my youth. I have been waiting for the new mini coopers to come out with a tow package so that I can get a cream colored one, with a matching, glossy painted dingy to haul behind it for after work sailings on Lake Washington.

Anyway, after the fall I proceeded to walk it off, dust my jacket clean and head down the ramp to check out the floating museum. I was so excited that I got back to work and looked up sailing lessons at the UW, something I have always wanted to do. Spring season is just about to open and I am going to inquire about joining the Washington Yacht Club and taking some lessons. I'm pretty sure I would love it. Sailing is one of my top five favorite things to do, and I want to learn how.

If you are a UW grad, and are interested in taking lessons with me, please let me know. I would love a first mate.

3 comments:

Mark and Sarah said...

hahahahaha...I can imagine your big blowout and you laughing at yourself! Glad your ankle isn't broken. Sailing lessons sound fun! I need a way to distract myself during this wait for referral, so let me know the deets!

Anonymous said...

I would like to be your first mate!

Sandel-Sock Fred

Anonymous said...

Or you could even learn to sail at the floating museum -- there's a women's class starting next week. http://www.cwb.org/WorkshopsAdultSeaman.htm#SailNOWWomen