Tuesday, April 11, 2006

athena and her baklava

Europe. I'll drink a cappucino to that. I'm in Athens. In Greece. Still can't believe it. It looks too colorful and pleasant from behind my new, large, faux, Chanel sunglasses that I purchased in the main square.

I am really enjoying the feeling of marble under my feet and hands. The smells of wisteria and orange blossoms in my face. Glorious tastes of sweet baklava and savory gyros. I walk the streets for hours to appreciate the small shops, pedestrian promenades and ancient Greek ruins scattered here and there in the midst of a modern European city. The joy!

I feel safe and sound. Free to stroll, to sit in parks, and blend right in. The sense of exploration is exhilarating. I can come upon perfect little, ancient streets lined with cafes. We ran across a hill with an ancient theater, at sunset, deserted by tourists and perfect for reading Acts and thinking about Paul's journeys across the Mediterranean.

The contrast couldn't be more different between Nairobi and here. Just a couple of flights via Dubai and bango! here I am. The memories of Stephen and Kenya are still fresh in my mind. It's a strange feeling to have all these experiences piling up in my short term memory. It's a lot to deal with, but I like it.

I plan to continue absorbing this carnival of sensory pleasures for the next three weeks here in Greece. Maybe I'll take in an island or two and ancient Corinth, in addition to another adventure with a Wwoof farm. No plans are a good plan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your trip in Greece sounds great and the travel through Europe will be pleasant too.
It make me want to do the same trip!!

David (France)

Anonymous said...

Seconding A. Dede, your writing is v. special. The Kenyan tale in particular put us right there with you. Have a great Tuscan time with the folks. Jack